Adaptive Sports Foundation seeks Executive Director (11/7/18)
REPORTS TO: Board Chairman
LOCATION: Windham, New York
TO APPLY: Send brief cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Ian Bazzoli at firstname.lastname@example.org
Founded in 1984, the Adaptive Sports Foundation (ASF) empowers lives through adaptive sports opportunities for children and adults with physical and intellectual disabilities and chronic illnesses. ASF students have disabilities ranging from relatively mild learning disabilities to more severe disabilities such as congenital and inherited disorders, amputation, traumatic brain injury, and autism spectrum disorder, and are aged five and older. Our extensive veterans program works with U.S. troops who’ve suffered injuries ranging from amputation, shrapnel wounds, spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries to post traumatic stress and other combat related injuries. Nestled in the Catskill Mountains in Windham, NY, ASF works to promote physical, cognitive, and emotional fitness by offering winter programs for recreational skiing and snowboarding, Nordic cross country and biathlon, and personal fitness and wellness. We offer summer programs that include paddling, stand up paddle boarding, para-rowing, and other water sports, road cycling and mountain biking, golf, hiking, and fitness training.
The Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the ASF staff, programs, fundraising and finances. In addition to leading and managing the staff, the ED will work hand-in-hand with board and volunteer committees focused on fundraising, finance and governance, ensuring committee members have the support and information necessary to function well and that activities support the overall strategic direction of the organization. The ideal candidate will have the vision and creativity to expand the reach of the organization, allowing additional participants to benefit from this top-notch program. In addition s/he will have experience in nonprofit, fiscal and volunteer management. Other key skill requirements are strong fundraising, communications, and multi-tasking skills. Experience in the adaptive sport industry or snow sports industry is desirable but not essential.
Leadership & Management
- Build on ASF’s history of first class and state of the art programming, expanding offerings and audiences served while maintaining the organization’s leadership position in adaptive sports.
- Develop, maintain and support a strong board of trustees; serve as an ex-officio member of each board committee and seek and build board involvement with strategic direction and planning.
- Lead, coach, develop and retain the ASF’s key management team, ensuring they have opportunities for growth while fulfilling their job responsibilities at the highest level.
- Provide leadership to group of 200+ program volunteers.
- Be responsible for overall risk management in areas of programing, facilities and human resources.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required; Master’s Degree desirable.
- Demonstrated history of building and maintaining a productive staff and a healthy and collaborative working environment that promotes longevity and loyalty by employees.
- Ten or more years senior management experience in either non-profit management, Snowsports, recreation management, corporate management, or working with persons with physical or developmental challenges.
- Exceptional budget development and management skills including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
- Ability to convey a vision of the Adaptive Sports Foundation strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, sponsors and program guests.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, program development and facilitation.
- Strong collaborative and facilitation skills.
- Outstanding written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Strong knowledge of technology tools and IT applications related to association management.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment of fundraising and sponsor development and management.
Desirable Qualities & Qualifications:
- Have a personal interest in or experience with assisting persons challenged by developmental or physical disabilities.
- Be an active participant in and have a passion for the variety of sports, programs and activities offered by ASF.
- Be a servant-leader; that is – embrace the philosophy that he/she is there to serve the program participants, volunteers, guests, sponsors, staff and leadership to achieve the mission and vision of the organization.
- Be a “behind the scenes” facilitator of efforts and priorities as set by his/her volunteer leadership and as reflected by program participant and volunteer needs.
- Ability to interface and engage a diverse constituency of guests, program participants, sponsors and volunteer leadership.
- Comfortable working “any room” and relating to people across the entire spectrum of social standing and economic means.
- Demonstrate transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Be willing to evaluate and prioritize programs as well as make difficult decisions to cut unproductive or underperforming programs.
- Be a low-ego, highly responsive team builder that finds reward in collaborative efforts vs. personal individual achievement.